Friday, February 7, 2014

Kidtales Adventures into, Dragon Wars with Author Emily Fogle.

Author Emily Fogle
Emily Fogle was born and raised in Southern California.
 Her dream and ultimate goal was to get her
 Masters degree in English and become a teacher 
with enough time to write, as well.
 However, she soon found out
 that the best dreams often come true 
when they aren't planned. 
Instead of fulfilling her teaching goal, 
real life took over and she married the man of her dreams. 
She now has an amazing 7 year old son 
and a beautiful baby boy. 
She dedicates the majority of her time taking care of her family, 
volunteering at her son's school, 
and being a Cub Scout Den leader. 
And though she loves every minute of it, 
the thought of being a writer still tugs at her heart. 
So, after the busy days are done and everyone is finally sleeping quietly,
 she squeezes in time for all the other loves in her life: 
the characters running wild inside her head. 
Now, incredibly, her writing dream is also coming true.
 Her first novel, Dragon Wars, is published by Anchor Group. 
Emily feels sincerely blessed to have been given so much in life 
and can't wait to start the next chapter.
 



Blurb:
Life is filled with changes, 
but sometimes even the most tragic events bring joy in the end, 
which is something Danny Warren learns when he joins the Dragon Wars. 
Danny sadly loses his father in a hit-and-run auto accident 
and is forced to move to a different town. 
But his fresh start is a horrible one 
and Danny desperately wants to find a world he can belong to. 
One afternoon, after a particularly hard day at school, 
Danny finds a mysterious box hidden inside his window seat. 
He soon discovers that the box is his portal to Dorcian, the dragon world. 
Sadly, the once amazing world is in utter turmoil, and its inhabitants are suffering.
 Danny finds the one thing that can bring meaning 
and happiness back to his heart: saving those that desperately need his help. 
Together, one boy and six lone dragons, will defeat evil and wage the Dragon Wars. 
And, in the midst of it all, 
Danny will discover that even the smallest person
 can make a huge difference when it matters the most.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since we got the blurb out of the way first, 
lets chat about a fun interview
 Author Emily Fogle gave to Kidtales!
~Candice

Not going to lie, when this book first released I was GEEKING. 
Do you know why?!
I have SONS!!! 
I have boys who LOVE adventure, castles, dragons, WAR, and all things boys!
I love and cherish the books my kids read-especially the variety-
but this book is one my children have LOVED from the get-go. 

1) Favorite book? 
 For kids’ books, anything Dr. Seuss has written is golden!!
 Who can argue with Yertle the Turtle and The Star Belly Sneetches.

 2) If you have to give a recommended classics reading list to teens ... what would it contain? Growing up I loved Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies, 
and anything by Tolkien will always have a special place in my heart. 
These stories can definitely stand up to the test of time. 

3) What are your go-to children's books to share with families? 
Seuss, again J! The Giving Tree and 
Where the Wild Things Are have always been favorites in our house, as well. 

 4) Where did you get your inspiration for writing? 
I find most of my inspiration from my husband and sons.

 5) Where did you get your idea for Dragon Wars?
 My uncle has always sent me drawings since we were kids. 
He is a fantastic artist! One day, he emailed me this 
amazing sketch done on a post-it note.
 It was of a woman, holding an amulet and standing outside of a cave, 
with a dragon peeking out at her. I loved it so much, Dragon Wars was born.
 The scene is actually in my novel.
 Plus, my son has always had a love for dragons and fantasy, 
so a lot of it was created just for him. 

6) What do you see in your future of writing? 
More of it! I’ve got quite a few projects in the works.
 I just need to find time to finish them. 
My younger son just turned a year, however, 
and I will probably slow down to focus my time on him 
and make some more amazing memories with my little one. 

7) Will you always write Middle Grade or will you venture?
 Definitely venture. 
Actually, I released a YA novel called Chasing Flames in October of 2013.
 I also have unpublished manuscripts that range from epic fantasy to picture books. 
  
8) Are your Dragon War characters based on anyone?
 I’ve picked different characteristics from people I know … somewhat.
 Danny’s love of drawing absolutely came from my uncle. 
Danny’s compassion and his sense of right and wrong comes from my son.
 And Brady, the bully, is kind of a manifestation of all those bullies 
I’ve known throughout my years … all rolled into one rotten package. 

9) What lead you to Anchor Group?
 A friend of mine that I have known for many years mentioned
 that she knew another author that had mentioned Anchor. 
It’s a small world! 

Tell us a little about you... 

A) Did you always want to write? 
I’ve always loved writing. It’s such a great release. 

B) Do you have a family? 
Yes I do. Two beautiful, perfect boys, 
a fantastic hubby, and a good ‘ol hound dog. 

C) Do you work besides being an author? 
I’ve got the hardest job there is: a full time mommy. 

 D) What kind of hobbies do you enjoy?
 Reading, baking, decorating cookies, scrapbooking, camping (when I can, of course)

 E) Do you have pets? 
Yes. Rocket, our black and tan coonhound. He’s a sweetheart. 

 F) What is the most embarrassing thing you have done/participated in? 
I don’t embarrass easily. But I HATE public speaking with a passion!!! 
So I’d have to say anytime I had to get up in front
 of a class to speak was the more embarrassing part of my life. 

G) What is something humbling you have done and learned from?
 Every year during Christmas, I work with a woman from my husband’s company. 
We try to raise money to adopt as many families as we can. 
Each family has at least one child with a special need. 
It’s just so fulfilling to help others in need 
and to know that you can make someone’s day a little brighter.
 Especially for the kids! 

H) Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
 I actually hope that life doesn’t look too much different. I love every minute of my life.
 I adore being a mommy and a wife.
 However, it would be quite nice if I could get a few more books out and published!

 Silly fun: 

1) You just won a million dollars- what do you do first? 
Look for a castle for sale! It can totally be a fixer-upper! 
You have to be money-wise, after all!

2) You won a trip around the world, but you pick the destinations, 
where are you visiting and why? 
I only want to really go to two places outside the US!
 New Zealand because it’s the beautiful home
 of where so many amazing movies and shows have been filmed! 
Middle Earth … do I really have to say anything else?
 My other destination would be Ireland!! 
I’ve always wanted to go. 
My son said that he will take me when he gets older,
 and we can find a baby dragon. 

 3) Its Halloween ... people can find you dressed as?  
An elvish princess, a pumpkin, or a fairy. 

4) Morning person or night person?
 Either! I am not a good sleeper. 
However, I like writing at night better than I do during the day. 

5) Favorite cold breakfast food? 
Not a huge breakfast person either, but I do love bananas and Golden Grahams
6) Authors have multiple personalities ... what are some of yours, and how do they behave? 
 I’ve got a shy side, a dorky side, and a crazy side. 
Plus there’s the side of me that thinks I am an elvish princess, 
and another side that wants to be a warrior skilled in the art of archery! 
Then I have a very self-conscious side. 
They all work pretty harmoniously together – 
except the self-conscious side 
and the warrior-side don’t see eye to eye on anything! 

 7) Describe yourself using these letters EMILY: 
 Energetic, Mommy, Imaginative, Lovable, Young at heart

 8) Favorite Drink (non-alcoholic for Kidtales). 
COFFEE!!!

 9) Do you like to cook---if so what kinds of food...if not-what do you like to eat? .
I do like to cook. I love pasta, although my hips do not.
 We also eat a lot of tacos! My hubby loves my homemade salsa. 

10) What is something unique about you? 
My white streak in my hair. I’ve had it since I was in kindergarten. 

11) A genie granted you 3 wishes ... what are they? 
That Rivendell was real and I could move my family there. 
Long, healthy lives for me and my family. 
And lastly, super human strength! 

12) What is your favorite quote in life? 
"You have no idea what you don't know." - John Lear.

My family review of Dragon Wars
 (needs updating-they have all been re-reading and talking about it!):
 
Are you ready for an adventure like no other? 
Than grab this book! I saw some promo for the book going on and thought, 
this is something my older boys will enjoy! In fact, it has become a family favorite. 
The adventure begins with Danny finding something (I don't want to disclose too much) 
and then ventures into his epic journey of discovery!
 I would in fact compare this to books such as Harry Potter, 
The Last Unicorn, or other AMAZING children's fantasy novels.
 Emily brings you into the book, into the world, 
and describes every character, detail, and situation to a tee,
 you really feel the action, adventure, and sometimes pulse-racing moments! 
LOVE this book! Highly recommend as Middle-grade novel, 
 family book night, or adult fantasy adventure!

Add on...This is a book that will make you think over your life. 
It will make you reconsider how things are, 
give you insight to the gifts in life you've been given,
and it will allow you to feel for someone else like never before. 
I personally can say my son felt heartache for Danny. 
My son asked questions, and related to some things,
but couldn't wait to read more in the adventures that occur. 
What an incredible way to address some very important 
topics that occur in life! 
Thank You Emily!!

Head on over to KIDTALES today for a GIVEAWAY! 


No comments:

Post a Comment